Real Estate DreamsPosted: June 8, 2010
I wish I lived somewhere else.
I love our house, it’s 99% perfect (needs a linen closet). I love having a yard where I can garden. I love that there is a school and a park literally in my backyard. I love that there are good schools nearby and I love that we are a short drive away from a great grocery store.
That’s where the love stops and my dreams for future living comes out. There are two dreams. The first is the one I think about the most:
- An old home with high baseboards and high ceilings with moldings but with modern decor (or one of those modernish looking infill homes that have been popping up everywhere)
- A sizable FLAT yard with ample space for a vegetable garden and to run around and play
- Mature trees
- Being able to WALK to nearby shops (coffee, grocery, restaurants etc)
- Being able to bike to work (I currently COULD but the finale of my ride home would be a Hill Of Doom – not interested)
- A neighbourhood where people actually talk to each other ( I had high hopes for my new neighbour and was foiled majorly)
My second dream was inspired by my weekend. We went to my cousin’s house for her oldest daughter’s 12th birthday. They live about an hour outside the city on a large property with a barn, two horses, some fields and all that jazz. Even with all the kids running around it is just so PEACEFUL there. I imagined the following
- A farmhouse with a wrap-around porch
- a long row of very tall trees lining a huge yard with a clothesline housing all the linens
- A HUGE vegetable garden with such bounty that I could actually can enough for the winter after eating my fill in teh summer
- A HUGE berry patch that would produce pies and jams
- A big play structure
- Invisible fencing for our dogs who would otherwise run away
- Some laying hens
The downsides of the second dream are definitely how far it would be to get to school, work and to the grocery store etc. the lack of diversity and the narrowing of choices for things like schools.
I think I’ll be able to make the first one happen in the next 5 years. What is your "realistic dream" living situation?
On this day:
In 2009 –
In 2008 –
In 2007 – I didn’t get that job, and I’m pretty glad
In 2006 – I miss listening to audio books. Any ideas where I could find some to download for free (ish)?
In 2005 – I don’t remember which pants I was talking about