Food Revolution Friday #2
Posted: April 30, 2010 Filed under: Uncategorized | Tags: family, food, frf, links, recipes, vegetarian, work
Since I haven’t posted about it yet, most of you don’t know that Brent no longer works from home. He’s in week two of his new job. It means a bit of an upheaval on our home life and schedule (more to come on that later, once we figure it all out) but we are both already so much happier.
The first week he made no plans for lunch and found himself either going without and then gorging later, or going out for lunch etc. This week we have a new thing going on. A Deal. These are the kinds of things that make our marriage work and our lives go smoothly. The deal is as follows:
Every single night, Brent cleans up the kitchen immediately after dinner
Every work night, after Bobby goes to bed, I pack him (and myself) a healthy lunch
So far it’s going great. He’s enjoying the surprise we he opens his lunch the next day and I feel like I now have a reason to put a bit more effort into my own lunch since doing all kinds of work just for one is tedious and sometimes wasteful.
Things I’ve been including are:
- celery, carrot, bell peppers, cucumbers with hummus or babaganouj
- a piece of fruit
- plain yogurt topped with chopped fruit (today is mango with a pinch of brown sugar)
- dinner leftovers if there are any
- breton cracker sandwiches with natural peanut butter and a touch of honey
For today I made egg salad sandwiches and I’m going to share with you my recipe that makes a perfect TWO awesome sandwich amount.
- Hard boil 3 large eggs
- Finely dice one green onion, a two inch piece of celery stalk and one quarter of a red pepper (us the rest of the celery and pepper as veggie sticks on the side)
- When eggs are done, cool in a cold water bath
- Peel eggs and put in a large soup bowl
- Mash them with a fork
- Add 1.5T mayonnaise (NOT MIRACLE WHIP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD) and 1.5T whole grain mustard (Dijon would do in a pinch)
- Mix to coat eggs
- Stir in diced veggies
- Spread evenly on two slices of whole grain bread
- Top each piece with another piece of bread
- Cut diagonally
Because we had some leftover baby spinach, I threw some on the sandwiches as well.
What do you like in your egg salad?
This post is a part of Food Revolution Fridays
On this day:
In 2009 –
In 2008 – It’s like LSD meets carnival meets Freddy Mercury meets fluffy kittens.
In 2007 – All goals accomplished! (or partially abandoned)
In 2006 –
In 2005 –